The Spanish crown funded a second voyage for Vespucci (1454-1512) in 1499. On May 16, Vespucci left Cadiz for the Canary Islands with a fleet of three ships, one of which was captained again by Juan de la Cosa (ca. 1460-1510). The fleet sailed on directly to the Cape Verde Islands, restocking water and wood at Fogo. From there, Vespucci headed south-west for 44 days, traveling 500 leagues and making landfall at latitude 5° south, in present-day French Guiana. Convinced that he had reached the western coast of Asia, Vespucci sailed south-east along the coast toward Cape Cattigara. The strong head currents forced him to reverse course—as did, perhaps, the awareness that he was now east of the Tordesillas meridian and therefore in Portuguese territory. Passing the mouth of the Amazon River, he noted that the water there was fresh, and he proceeded to Trinidad Island, which he described as inhabited by cannibals. As it turned out, however, the harbor protected by the island—called the Gulf of Paria—was populated by gentle and friendly people. This induced Vespucci to halt there for approximately two weeks. The fleet sailed on to the Island of Giants, at latitude 15° north, and then to Hispaniola, the island discovered by Columbus, where the fleet stopped for two full months. On his way back, Vespucci passed the Azores, but the wind drove the ships to the Canary Islands, from which they returned to Cadiz in June 1500.